From its beginnings in 1973 through four decades of steady global expansion, RGA has grown to become one of the world’s largest and most highly respected reinsurers, recognized for our superior risk management, innovative solutions, and dedicated client focus.
- RGA launched operations in Turkey in 2013, with the establishment of RGA Global Reinsurance Company Ltd. Turkey Liaison Office in Istanbul in May.
- In July, RGA Reinsurance Company received a preparatory license from the China Insurance Regulatory Commission (CIRC) to operate as a licensed life reinsurance branch in China.
- In 2013 NMG Consulting studies, RGA was ranked #1 globally on the Business Capability Index. In national studies, RGA was ranked #1 on the BCI in the Canada, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, Singapore, South Africa, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam markets.
- RGA was named “Life Reinsurance Company of the Year” by the 2013 Worldwide Reinsurance Awards.
- RGA was rated “Best Overall Life Reinsurer” in the 2013 Flaspöhler Survey (Direct Writers Evaluate Reinsurers / Life N. A.) by cedants. This is the fifth consecutive time RGA has been rated Best Overall in this biennial survey.
- RGA was ranked #275 on the FORTUNE 500 list.
- RGA was recognized for forward thinking by Best’s Review magazine in the publication’s annual Innovation Showcase forum for its “Automated Underwriting for Impaired Annuities” solution in the U.K. This is the third consecutive year RGA has been so recognized in the Innovation Showcase forum.
- In 2012 NMG Consulting studies, RGA was ranked #1 globally, and in national and regional studies in the Asia, Canada, Europe, India, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Singapore, South Africa, Taiwan, U.K. & Ireland, and U.S. (individual mortality) markets, on NMG’s Business Capability Index.
- RGA was named “Life Reinsurer of the Year” by the 2012 Asia Insurance Industry Awards.
- RGA was named “Reinsurance Company of the Year” by the 2012 Australian Insurance Industry Awards.
- RGA was recognized for forward thinking by Best’s Review magazine in the publication’s inaugural l Innovation Showcase for its “Prescription History Mortality Research” study and ASAP.
- RGA obtained approval to operate RGA Reinsurance Company Middle East Limited and opened an office in Dubai. RGA has been serving clients in the Middle East since 2008.
- RGA was ranked #1 on NMG Consulting's Business Capability Index in Canada, Central and Eastern Europe, Continental Europe, Italy, Mexico, South Africa, and U.K. & Ireland cedant studies.
- RGA was named "Best Reinsurer for Mortality Risk Transfer" by the Life & Pension Risk Awards.
- RGA was named “Life Reinsurance Company of the Year” at The Review – Worldwide Reinsurance Awards. This was the fourth time in eight years RGA received this award.
- RGA Reinsurance Company was named “Best Overall Life Reinsurer” for the fourth consecutive time by North American life insurers in the 2011 Flaspöhler Cedant Survey (Life – North America).
*Certain historical amounts have been revised to reflect the retrospective adoption of new accounting guidance for deferred acquisition costs in the first quarter of 2012.
Click on each date range below to view more RGA history.